We all know that updating the payroll service in QuickBooks fixes the existing bugs and installs new features in the software. The update also ensures the tax calculations by the software are in accordance with the latest tax table released by the federal government. But the software can sometimes generate random issues that also affect the payroll service. QuickBooks error 15240 appears on the screen when the payroll update begins, and the process is forced to terminate. If you also deal with a similar error in your QuickBooks, continue reading further to discover the potential reasons and the viable solutions for the error.
Troubleshooting advice from a QB expert at +1-855-948-3646 will help you eliminate this error quickly from the software.
About the error
Updating the service becomes impossible after this error generates in the software. The update process will be terminated mid-way and you’ll receive error codes with the message, “The payroll update did not complete successfully” or “The file you specified cannot be opened.” This error message will reoccur whenever you try to download the payroll update. A sudden crash in the software or lag in the system is normal after the error codes are displayed. You don’t have to worry about your financial data because it remains unaffected by this error. The error can be resolved by configuring some system settings and taking the required actions explained later in this blog.
The unfortunate conditions that can be held responsible for triggering this payroll update error in QuickBooks are mentioned below-
- A file in the update package required for the payroll update gets damaged during the download or it is occupied with any other software task.
- The TLS settings or your computer blocks QuickBooks from accessing the internet.
- Use of an incompatible third-party browser or a pile-up of temporary files in the web browser.
- QuickBooks fails to verify the digital signatures of the downloaded files.
- The File Copy Service has been disabled by the user or it stops running.
- Compatibility issues generated by obsolete version QuickBooks or the Windows operating the system.
You may also like to read:- Why I am getting the QuickBooks error 40003
The payroll update error can be rectified by applying the effective techniques compiled below-
Solution 1- Fix the TLS settings and download the payroll update again in Administrator mode
Transport Layer Security or TLS is a security protocol utilized by Windows to set up a secure connection with the internet. These settings ensure that the authenticity of the data sent over the internet remains intact and no unauthorized attempt are made to access the data during the transfer. This also helps to prevent malware from entering the system when it is connected to the internet. QuickBooks might fail to access the internet if these settings interpret malware or they aren’t configured appropriately, which causes issue in other application too. Use these steps to configure the TLS settings-
- Press Windows + R on your keyboard to go to the Run window.
- Clear the auto-filled data and type inetcpl.cpl accurately.
- Go to the Security tab and scroll down to the bottom.
- Ensure the checkbox for TLS 1.2 is unchecked and all the other TLS settings are unmarked.
- Save the settings.
After the TLS settings are configured, you must ensure the software isn’t getting blocked by the firewall or facing trouble during the update due to insufficient folder permissions. Using the software in Admin mode will fix all these issues as the software gets special access to all the folders and bypasses any security software restrictions. Apply the following steps to use the software in Admin mode and download the payroll updates again-
- Type ‘QuickBooks’ in the search bar or go to its location in the C: drive.
- Right-click on the software launch icon and select Run as Administrator.
- Once the software starts running, click on the Employees menu and select Get payroll updates.
- Tap the Download entire payroll update option and click on Update.
- Click on Close afterward.
If the software fails to download the payroll update, jump to the next solution.
Solution 2- Manually verify the Digital Signatures of the files in update package
Digital Signatures is a two way authentication method used to check if the file has been accessed during the transfer or if any malpractices have been made to harm the file. QuickBooks scans the downloaded file for Digital Signatures to ensure the files are safe to run on your PC. In case QuickBooks fails to verify the credibility of the E-signatures, the payroll update fails instantly. You’ll have to verify the Digital Signatures manually to prevent the files from being discarded by the software again. Here are the steps to verify the signatures-
- Go to C:\Program files\Intuit\QuickBooks.
- Right-click on the QBW32.exe file present inside the folder and tap Properties.
- Navigate to the Digital Signatures window to open the list of signatures.
- Find Intuit.inc in the list and click on the Details option.
- Single-click View Certificate option located in the Digital Signatures details window.
- Click Install Certificate below the Certificate Window.
- Keep tapping Next until Finish appears.
- Reopen QuickBooks and try the payroll update again.
If the error appears again during the update, go to the next solution.
Solution 3- Resolve the connection issues caused by the web browser
QuickBooks depends on a web browser to execute its online functions and any issues in the browser can directly affect the ongoing tasks. The payroll update can also suffer if a third-party web browser is being used on your computer which might be incompatible with QuickBooks. The software will develop issues while integrating with web services to execute its functions. You must start by selecting an inbuilt web browser of your Windows to run QB tasks. Here’s how-
- Search for ‘default apps’ and go to its window.
- Click on the Web Browser option and choose Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
- Set it as your default browser and save the settings.
After the default browser is selected, you need to remove temporary files from the browser that can also generate issues while connecting to websites. Use the steps given below-
- Open your web browser and go to the clear browsing history menu (Ctrl + Shift + Delete).
- Select the checkboxes for cookies, cache and other temporary files.
- Click on Clear data or any other option to erase the files along with your browsing history.
- Try downloading payroll updates again in the software.
If the payroll update is stopped by the error again, use the next solution.
Solution 4- Install the latest version of QuickBooks and Windows on your system
Outdated QuickBooks version is also a significant reason for the development of internal issues in the software. You must always keep the software updated to the latest released version to prevent it from compatibility issues and fix the existing glitches in it. Intuit also recommends using the latest software version for best user experience. Refer to these steps-
- Run QuickBooks in Administrator mode and tap the File option.
- Select Utilities and single-click on the Stop hosting multi-user access option.
- Approach the Help menu and click Update QuickBooks Desktop in the options list.
- In the Update now tab, click on the Mark all checkbox to update all the QuickBooks components.
- Tap Reset Update to remove all the previous updates and click on Get updates.
- Let the update download and then reopen QuickBooks.
- Click Yes on the message box prompted by the software to install the updates.
Once QuickBooks is updated, you need to update your Windows version too. An old Windows version causes compatibility issues when QuickBooks tries to execute its tasks. QuickBooks struggles to run if the Windows version doesn’t comply with its requirements. Not only QuickBooks, other applications running on your PC can also suffer due to an obsolete Windows version. Use these steps to update Windows-
- Go to the Windows update menu in the control panel using the search bar or Settings in the Windows Start button menu.
- Click Check for updates to find the latest available version for your Windows.
- Hit Download and Install below the available version and wait.
- Reboot your system after the Windows update f it doesn’t happen automatically.
- Open QuickBooks and try to update payroll.
If the payroll update still fails due to the error, apply the next solution.
Solution 5- Run QuickBooks Tool hub
QuickBooks may get affected by internal issues if it isn’t properly installed on your computer or its program files get hit by virus. The software can showcase an abnormal behaviour and this payroll update issue can also be a result of technical glitches in the software. QB tool hub is effective against these issues and its tools are reliable while troubleshooting them. Use the QB tool hub as described in the steps below-
- Run QB Tool hub and go to the Program Problems menu.
- Tap Run Quick fix my program option in the list.
- Wait until the software gets repaired and download payroll update again.
The payroll service will be updated successfully after applying the techniques discussed above.
You now have the information on QuickBooks error 15240 and its symptoms on your PC. The causes of this issue are also described in detail, accompanying the countermeasures you need to take against it. We hope the blog helped you eliminate the payroll update issues from your QuickBooks.
If you are still in need of assistance, give a call at +1-855-948-3646 to consult a QB professional.
Explore more:- Thetrustblog